An official gratitude for the Swedish support during the Second World War.
The memorial ”Norway’s Thanks” is located next to the Norwegian embassy on northern Djurgården in Stockholm. It was handed over by the Norwegian King Olav V on June 14 1983, as an official gratitude for the Swedish support during the Second World War.
During the Nazi German occupation of Norway (1940-1945), Sweden allowed the Norwegians to equip and train a Norwegian army on Swedish soil. Sweden received about 60,000 Norwegian refugees and set up a nationwide campaign called “Svenska Norgejälpen” (The Swedish Norwegian Aid) that collected money, used clothes, shoes, household goods and more for the needy in Norway.
The memorial stone weighs fifteen tons, is three meters wide and comes from Vassfaret in Flå municipality, Norway. The memorial symbolizes cooperation and a good relationship between neighbouring countries – lasting even during difficult times and situations that may arise.
Folke Bernadottes väg