An official gratitude for the Swedish support during the Second World War
The memorial ‘Norway’s Thanks’ is located next to the Norwegian embassy on northern Djurgården in Stockholm. It was handed over by the Norwegian King Olav V on 14th June 1983 as an official gratitude for the Swedish support during the Second World War.
During the Nazi Germany occupation of Norway (1940-1945), Sweden allowed the Norwegians to equip and train a Norwegian army on Swedish soil. Sweden received about 60,000 Norwegian refugees and set up a nationwide campaign called ‘Svenska Norgejälpen’ (The Swedish Norwegian Aid), which collected money, used clothes, shoes, household goods and more for those in need in Norway.
The memorial stone weighs fifteen tons, is three metres wide and comes from Vassfaret in Norway’s Flå municipality. The memorial symbolises cooperation and a good relationship between neighbouring countries – lasting even during difficult times and situations that may arise.
Folke Bernadottes väg